Thursday, May 19
Sevenoaks, UK

Match Centre

West Farleigh Reserves



Fisher Shield 3rd February 2018 @ 13:30 Elmscroft Park

Wilderpark crashed out of the Fisher Shield at the quarter-final stage going down unexpectedly to West Farleigh Reserves the leaders of Division Four 5-2.

The tie was effectively all over with a few minutes remaining in the first half when the hosts scored twice in as many minutes to lead 2-0 at the interval.

The Park welcomed back goal keeper Christian Esposito for his first game of the season to a loud welcome of applause as he entered the dressing room. Also, returning was striker Alfie Smyth after an absence of a couple of months and Dave Hobby. On the downside Steve Burgess, Steve Henniker, Andy Streeter and keeper Lewis Hughes were unavailable.

Back to the action then. The Park had the majority of the play during the first half although the hosts kept possession well and passing in triangles. Freddie Payne was put through on seven minutes but his shot was saved by the home custodian.

The Park’s bright opening continued and a succession of corners ensued all to no avail. On twenty minutes Payne was again through with a long ball over the defence by Jim Hagon but the shot went straight at the keeper. Another corner followed and as several shots rained in they were blocked or cleared.

Alex David was put through on the right but unceremoniously brought down by the full back. No foul! But David argued and was sent off into the sin bin for dissent.

West Farleigh made a couple of promising attacks but the final shots were off target. Smyth replaced Osman and was soon in the action but as he sped forward with a goal in sight took a tumble. Ollie Barnes put the returning David through but his shot was blocked.

Then followed the two goals the last one due to lack of concentration and the ball was in the net.

The second half started well for the Park as they stepped up the pace. Alfie and Ollie combined well down the right to set up Hagon but his shot went wide. Then a move on the opposite side saw Leon Terry shoot over the crossbar.

Just after the hour Terry made ground down the left flank and crossed the ball to an unmarked Smyth who scored with ease. At the other end Esposito saved well to keep his side in the game. The Park responded with a quick break. Hagon slipped the ball to David who in turn moved the ball onto Osman but his finish went wide of the upright.

An unfortunate rebound off a Wilderpark player gave West Farleigh the opportunity to go further ahead which was followed by another goal. The Park had appeals for a penalty turned down but Terry was fouled on the other side just outside the box. Hagon lined up his shot which went through the wall and inside the far post.

The Park continued to push forward but often left spaces at the back which was finally exploited near the end as the home team went through to the semi-final stage with a 5-2 victory.

West Farleigh Reserves 5 - 2 Wilderpark

  • Saturday 3 February 2018 @ 13:30
  • Fisher Shield QF
  • Elmscroft Park
  • Referee: Darren Fisher
12 P. Burgess F. Payne
13 A. Smyth T. Osman 1

Previous meetings

06 Jan 18 14:00 League West Farleigh Reserves v Wilderpark Reserves 8 - 2
03 Feb 18 13:30 Shield West Farleigh Reserves v Wilderpark 5 - 2
17 Feb 18 14:00 League Wilderpark Reserves v West Farleigh Reserves 1 - 1
20 Oct 18 13:30 Trophy Wilderpark v West Farleigh Reserves 0 - 6
05 Oct 19 14:00 League West Farleigh Reserves v Wilderpark 0 - 1
14 Mar 20 13:30 S Cup Wilderpark v West Farleigh Reserves 0 - 3
28 Mar 20 14:00 League Wilderpark v West Farleigh Reserves P - P